Friday, February 13, 2009

even just one dollar...

I often think about how lucky we are. How incredibly LUCKY WE ARE!!!

This is a hard time for many many people. There are many businesses in Easton alone that have closed up shop. So many people out of work, so many people struggling to support their families. It makes me think about the two days last month when our heat was broken. I sat with Noah in front of the fire place to keep warm. I was thinking about all the people that have to worry about how to keep their babies warm and how to feed their babies---every single day. I think about those people often now. I see them everyday at the courthouse, waiting in a long line, in the cold, hoping to get some assistance for their families. The budget cuts prevent them from getting the help that they really need. My heart breaks for them. I am not sure that I could handle that kind of stress. We are fortunate that we are able to provide for our son, and lucky that if we weren't, that we have families that could help us.

Then just this morning I was reminded of the other tragedies in life, sick children. There is a radio marathon raising money for St Jude Hospital. St Jude is where many sick children go to get the very special care that they need, and that their families need. It is an amazing research hospital for childhood cancer and other diseases. I listened to it today, crying and telling myself to just turn off the darn radio or walk away. But I couldn't, I felt that I would be walking away from these children and their parents. I sat for what seemed like hours, crying and holding Noah and thanking God that he is healthy and that I am able to hold him. I have been thanking God a lot since Noah was born, but today, it has been a little bit different. I am really really thankful. I hope that I can, on busy and stressful days, remember this and remember how fortunate we really are..

So, back to the purpose of this, I challenge everyone to think about what you are really thankful for. I want you to think about the people that are less fortunate than us.

I want you to donate as little or as much as you want to St Jude or UNICEF or any other charity that you care about. I know it is hard times out there for people, but I will be spreading my thanks today and I hope that you will too:)


1 comment:

Janna Barber said...

I'm impressed with you . . . and this post. And that is a GREAT picture!