October 1, 2005 was a beautiful fall day! I was walking the Susan G Komen Walk in Baltimore with friends and Chuck was in WV four wheeling. I had just returned when I got the call. Chuck had been in an accident. Going to the hospital. Flying to the hospital. No, he did not tell him to call me. No, he was not really talking. Yes, he was somewhat conscious. Chuck was hurt, very hurt and I had no idea what was about to happen!! That night they flew him to Shock Trauma in Baltimore. He would be better there because of the brain injury caused by the skull fracture. All the other injuries were small in comparison. The brain is what we worried about.
Chuck did well and recovered faster than anyone could imagine. He even shocked his doctors and therapists. He was out of work for three months, he was in intensive therapy for about a month after spending almost two weeks in the hospital. Eventually, we got our life back. But we will never be the same.
October 1, 2009, we are safe and happy and well. I no longer get spooked at the sound of an ambulance or a four wheeler. We don't have a four wheeler. We have our beautiful and amazing son. We are getting ready to celebrate his very first birthday!!!
We are busy however, working and raising Noah the best way we know how. But, we are fulfilled and we are completely in love with our son!!!! Thankful, so thankful that we have such wonderful blessings in our life.
We still think about that fall day in 2005, but it no longer runs our life. Now we associate fall and October with our son's birth. We now look forward to October. We realize how close we got to not having all of this, our life, our marriage, our son. I am so thankful that Chuck is with us and that he is the father to my son.
Could life get any better?
I don't think so.
2 comments:
That was an awful day. This is a really sweet post. I'm glad for your blessings too, and your ability to appreciate them!
Kristin, I got chills reading and just remembering that day taking you up the hospital. I am so thankful and glad that your family is healthy and apart of our lives :)
Post a Comment